Thursday, December 7, 2023

Doc talk #1

 I hope you're enjoying these titles because I love making them. When thinking about my own project I turned to documentaries I had watched in the past. I also thought about what type of documentary I would want to create. After creating groups we thought about stories we could tell that were accessible. We landed on a story on redirection focusing on my stepdad Joey and my group member's mom Fernanda. The goal was to tell their stories from the start to now, so while I didn't love abstract I watched more episodes to see how they told their stories. Their use of a planned b-roll and interviews with people who knew the main subjects were aspects we wanted to reflect in our documentary. We created an outline to follow when we decided to film our project. 

Our largest struggle when it came to actually creating the documentary was that we couldn't find a documentary that combined two stories while trying to get on point across. While we had our entire project planned out we thought it would be confusing once executed, so we started researching how to tell a story through a documentary. I started googling pretty straightforward questions that had been addressed in class, but I felt I needed more clarity on the situation before we created a project we weren't proud of. 
This article may seem like a dumbed-down definition of a documentary, but it helped calm me down in terms of creating it. It made it seem like something that we could actually tackle. 
This is another article I used. Once again a dumbed-down version of how to create a documentary, but it helped provide a checklist of things we needed to be able to tell our story. 

Next, we created a set of questions and a b-roll list for both Joey and Fernanda. This would help us run our interviews smoothly as well as help us plan times to get our b-roll. The interview list is not long as we had a time limit of 10 minutes along with the fact that we were going to ask follow-up questions that would piggyback off what the interviewees were saying. This was once again another set of lists to help us have a smooth documentary-making process. 


Lastly, I created a schedule to follow and to help us complete our production log. This allowed me to see what needed to get done and how much time we had until the project was due. This log only shows the week of production/post-production. 

I'll be back with another blog post soon, but for now I hope you've enjoyed these past two blogs. Also sorry if the pictures are blurry I'm nor sure how to fix it. See you soon. 




  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I truly never thought this day would come but it has. I am officially done with my A level Media project. Part of me feels so much joy beca...