Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Music marketing #2

 The music marketing post really opened my eyes to an in-depth project with length. The multiple layers to the project made it slightly stressful, but overall fun. We began with the schedule which can be seen in a previous post to make sure we finished everything by the due date. Obviously, we bent our own rules a bit and didn’t really finish the project by our intended date rather we waited till the due date. It really wasn’t that stressful when it came to workload, but I have a problem with making everything perfect in my eyes. I wanted the presentation to look as cohesive as possible.

    Starting the project I really worried about timing since we had a two-week time frame and a lot of planning that had to come to fruition. Working in the class had its advantages and its disadvantages. As much as we were engaged we were also hitting a lot of dead ends. The music video seemed like a vital part to get done so we decided to get that done first. The planning of the music video was a long process because not only did we have some conflicting ideas, but we also wanted to make sure we could get our ideas done. One of the first ideas took place in a theatre, but we couldn’t actually make that happen. Planning the music video was crucial in person so we could bounce ideas off each other and build the storyline. Outside of school, we decided to do our music research chart as we could each take care of a column ourselves at home. 

The research chart would later help us when it came to the marketing aspect. We had to create a target audience that would want to hear the music we were putting out and actually consume it. We wanted our artist to be as real as possible. The target audience we chose from our research was 20-35. This was because of the deeply emotional lyrics of the song. At the age of 20 people are inching closer to leaving college and many are developing their first deep emotional relationships. The lyrics repeat “we both know we ain’t kids no more” showing that they are moving away from a young immature age. 

We then started the PowerPoint, but really paid no attention to it until after the music video was done. We planned our filming for a Saturday to allow us a full day. We found our location and actors meaning we were completely ready to film. We started at 11 and filmed until around 3 making sure we got all the shots necessary to complete the music video. I went out and bought props that day that matched our story as best as possible. There were technically no spending rules, but none of us were willing to drop money on a project that we would most likely be too embarrassed to show our friends. That isn’t because it's bad; in my opinion, I thought it was really good, but people don’t realize you have to start somewhere they think you just start out great. 

After the music video was filmed I tested positive for covid which stressed me out in the sense that the PowerPoint had to get done and presentations were the following week. Focusing on the PowerPoint in the days following we made examples of our marketing products and made sure everything was cohesive with the brand we were trying to create. I am one to follow guidelines because I’ve always grown up in that system so having even a little freedom in this project stressed me out beyond belief. We finished at 10 the day before our presentation with no intention of presenting the next day by choice.

Having the project done was a relief, but the impending doom of presenting a long presentation where you are the center of the project in a way was stressful. My best friend told me to just get it over with but i am a chronic procrastinator and I love the option of pushing things back. We got called on the first day to present and we did and I think it went pretty well. I was slightly annoyed that other groups were able to watch and edit their presentations after they saw ours and others, but overall I was really proud. 

This project definitely taught me that I love doing things myself because full control means nothing can go wrong in my eyes. It also showed me how beneficial time management. I do think you have to care to employ time management though. In other classes, I could have something for two weeks and ignore it until its due date, but something like this makes me feel like I have something to prove. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I truly never thought this day would come but it has. I am officially done with my A level Media project. Part of me feels so much joy beca...