Saturday, February 24, 2024

The most wonderful time of the year

 RESEARCH TIME! 

I would be lying if I said research was one of my favorite parts of this class, but I do love a good documentary so for this I'm compiling documentaries I have previously watched and would love to emulate in my own work. I do have a decent amount of documentaries under my belt (most of them true crime) so I think I'm pretty well equipped for the job. Let's get started.

Abstract



I've talked about this documentary time and time again because its structure is unique and in this case easy for us to replicate. We watched this documentary in class and at home as research for our previous documentary project (I'll link the previous research below). Why this documentary is important now is because of it's format. "Abstract" is an episodic documentary that highlights artists in different industries. Each episode is different from the last which is what our documentary is going to replicate. They tell the full story of the artists and highlight projects important to them, while we won't be doing exactly that we plan to pull many bits and pieces as inspiration.

Doc Talk #1 (past research)

20 Days In Mariupol



This type of documentary is not something I would normally watch as the story it's telling is recent and not complete. I was drawn to it one day while scrolling through YouTube and decided to give it a try. This project was also weighing on my mind so I thought extra research couldn't hurt. The documentary was exactly what I needed to see. It was a brand new documentary focusing on current events using brand new footage to portray the situation they were talking about. This is a new challenge we are facing for our documentary as last time we were allowed to use archived footage. When approaching a documentary I only thought of past stories to tell that would have needed heavy amounts of archived footage, so archived footage not being allowed challenged us to tell a different story. While our documentary isn't covering the atrocities of war seeing a piece of work with all new footage made me feel better about the task we are undertaking. 

Every Interview Style Explained

The video I linked above I found quite interesting. I was just scrolling through videos and decided to click on this one and I’m glad I did. It introduced me to new techniques that I have seen used before but never thought I could include. I never understood the difference until this video made it clear to me. Some techniques that intrigued me were the conversational style which I thought we could possibly incorporate in the podcast episode as well as the in the moment technique. I think if we do end up incorporating them they will make the documentary more visually interesting.

Thanks for tuning in again I’ll be back tomorrow with the new schedule as promised!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I truly never thought this day would come but it has. I am officially done with my A level Media project. Part of me feels so much joy beca...