Saturday, March 16, 2024

Print Research

 This may seem a little premature but it's better sooner than later. A main component of the documentary package is a magazine spread so before diving into it we decided we should do some research. I've never made a magazine before so this is definitely a crucial step in our preparation. To start I looked at some magazines with my teacher. I wanted to go to her first since she knows what is important to the project. She showed us some good pages from multiple magazines and I'll include them below.

This is the first magazine we looked at together. This one is simple and an example of a foolproof magazine. It incorporates photos and text in a format that is easy to copy. We're going to be using Canva to create our magazine so something like this should be fairly easy to replicate. While I don't think we'll do exactly it there are aspects of it that I like. A specific one is the bottom right corner of the left page. I enjoy the individual photo with the specific quotes next to it.


This magazine we liked because it was an interview with the actress Michelle Yeoh. We are planning to do an interview with the directors AKA ourselves because the documentary gives all the information the public would need on the subjects. The incorporation of the large photo was something our teacher pointed out to us and she said it can help to make our page interesting but would recommend not having the photo cross the crease. 

This is the last magazine I'll be showing you and it's because I fear I'm becoming repetitive. This magazine would really only be capable if we get a great photo. Blowing up a photo this big is a bold move and that's why it would only be done with good photo. If we did do this we would have one page with a large photo and another page with all of the text. 

                                                               Anatomy of a Magazine
Lastly is this article I found prior to talking to my teacher. The first thing I enjoyed was the graphic at the beginning. 
I thoroughly enjoyed this breakdown because while I do consume a fair bit of written work I rarely look at magazines. This broke down the basics and pieces of the magazine I would have totally looked over. Along with that graphic, they include four detailed YouTube videos that go over more phrases and introduce some layouts as well as giving some editing tips and tricks. 
I plan to look back on this post soon to begin working on our print component. While it's not the part I'm most excited about after this post I feel less intimidated. I'll be back tomorrow with a film update after we film with Josh and Sai. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 I truly never thought this day would come but it has. I am officially done with my A level Media project. Part of me feels so much joy beca...